Choosing the best web host can often be painful and difficult for beginners. With several web hosting companies around the globe, one can be lost by picking the best.
A lot of them claim to be the best, but the question simply is
- Which web host is the best?
- How do I know the best web host?
Knowing the best web host is easy when you exactly know what you want. Some can claim to have what you want, meanwhile, they do not.
It is difficult for a non-techy user to understand the importance of things like Server uptime and reliability, upgrade options, renewal fees, customer support, multiple domain addon, SSL certificate etc. Things like these can elude new bloggers because they just want to start their blog as soon as possible.
How do you decide if a web host is good or bad?
- What are the features you are looking for?
- Or, you are just confused and not sure about anything?
How to choose a Web Hosting Company?
If you are new in choosing web host then it might be difficult for you to answer these basic questions. To make it a little simple for you, here are a few questions that you can ask yourself before taking this big step:
- What are your hosting needs? (Small, Medium, Large Business)
- What is the uptime guarantee the web host is providing; is it reliable?
- Upgrading Option available to you & cost of upgrading?
- Hosting features available like multiple addon domains, free domains along with hosting, number of domain email addresses etc.
- Most important Cost at the time of sign-up and renewal?
If you want to go deeper, you may also want to know about what the account suspension and server usage policy are.
Identify Your Hosting Needs
Understanding you hosting needs is the crucial thing and without that, you cannot get the right web host. So, it very important to identify what you actually need? We would suggest to keep everything aside including this and thoroughly think about what are you looking for in the future? Some sample questions that you might want to ask yourself are
- What kind of website are you building?
- What kind of platform will you use? eg. WordPress
- Are you building a blogging website, an organizational website, portfolio website etc?
- Whether you need a special software to code your website like PHP, Java, .net etc?
- What is the volume of traffic you are looking for?
- Are you interested in building multiple websites?
Today, we want to look at how you can choose the best web host in no time. Kindly know this, “Your web host has a lot of impact on your SEO and your site speed”. Below are what you’re to look for in any web host you are thinking to use for your website/blog
Requirement a Web host Must Meet.
- Price: this is a very crucial part that you must consider when choosing your web host. Look into your budget, how much are you ready to spend on this. Remember, web hosting is not the only thing you will need to run a successful website/blog. Other services are also required. Hosting a CMS (Joomla, WordPress, Drupal) platform should never cost much. Some hosting companies charge an exorbitant rate for this. This is too expensive for at least a starter.
- Server Uptime: You must make sure their server uptime is at least 90%. Should your web host server go down, your website/blog will also shut down. The uptime power of your blog relies solely on your web host server uptime. When they are down, your customer/user/visitor can’t find your website. It will be difficult for you to have access to it. You should use cloud flare…they can save you a lot of havoc, if such eventually happen. They also have a free package for upcoming blogs
- 24/7 Technical Support: This factor is also a must. It’s a critical aspect you should never ignore. They must support live chat, phone call, open ticket system, email services. Just make sure they have at least three (3) of these in place especially the phone call. You can always leverage their team of experts whenever you have any issue/problem with your site or whatever… please do not hesitate to use them.
- WordPress Specific Services: If you are searching a web host for your WordPress website then you can select any web host company that offers shared Linus Hosting server with PHP as that can run WordPress. You do not need a WordPress hosting to run a WordPress website. In case you need some special WordPress related services like emergency WordPress patching, WordPress optimization, virus removal etc then you can consider WordPress specific hosting.
- E-Commerce Options: If you are planning to host an e-commerce website with features like Online Payment Options, Automatic Taxes, Automatic Shipping Support etc then it’s important to choose a web host which support these e-commerce features. You will need an SSL certificate for your website to provide the same level of security that banks provide to their customers.
- Site Backups: When you are running a website, it’s quite possible that your website crashes and inaccessible to the users. There could be multiple reasons for website crash, for example, a hacker might have damaged your index.php file or your entire database? Once you in this such problem then it’s very important to have site backups so that you can restore your website again. Another reason for website crash could be when you are making code customizations and you mistakenly deleted or added code with errors and then you don’t know how to correct it? If your web host takes the site backup regularly and then you don’t need to worry about all those things. So, it very important to consider this point before you choose a web host. You can ask following questions to the web hosting provider before you finalize them Do you take automatic backups regularly? Do you have site backup options in admin control panel? Is there any option for manual site backup? Do you provide any plugin for site backup? Do you provide assistance in restoring the site back up?
- Plugins Freedom: In WordPress, we have something called “plugins” which are the portion of software that provides additional features and functionality that isn’t built into WordPress. However, some plugins conflict with how hosting companies’ servers and are banned by them. Some plugins are simply bad pieces of software, so they are banned as well. But some hosting companies allow you to install and experiment as much as you want. Remember that, WordPress plugins are something which boosts the functionality of your website and if any of them is banned by the web hosting company on your website then that is a very big loss for you. So, ask them about this and make sure that they allow you to install and experiment as many plugins you want on your website without any restriction.
- User-Friendly Account: Speaking for ourselves, we like a clean, smooth, user-friendly backend. Some people don’t care about the design – they just want everything to be there and to function. Some people really don’t care about the backend – they want all technical options open for professionals (either a hired developer or customer support) to use as needed. You can experiment with these things during the trial period and then decide what you want? Believe me, things are really important if you are serious about your project and really want to take it to another level.
- Security: Choosing the web host write with the best security patch isn’t negotiable. The vulnerability of your web host is also your vulnerability. Remember that your web host houses your files which is your website/blog, meaning when their security breaks, your files are also accessible by hackers. Their security can help decrease brute force attack on your blog and even block fake bots that hackers use to break into their target security system.
- Upgrade Options: When you start a new website/blog, it is highly recommended to purchase a shared web hosting plan. This way you can save a lot of money on hosting bill during the time you grow your website/blog. Shared hosting is Web hosting in which the service provider serves multiple Web sites, each having its own Internet domain name, from a single Web Server. Most Web hosting companies provide the shared hosting plan nowadays. As a rough estimate, the shared web hosting account is sufficient to support a properly optimized WordPress website with 35,000 to 50,000 unique visitors. However, if you are expecting your website to grow into a real big in next two or three years then it’s worth considering what are the upgrade options web host provide you at the time of purchase. You may like to migrate from shared web hosting account to VPS or dedicated server for more disk storage, memory capacity and processing power with added security features. So, it’s very important to inquire about these upgrades options at the time of setting up a web host account.
- Money Back: Any web host that is confident with their services will definitely offer a money back guarantee after some certain days. The pride of any web hosting company should be so great that they know they offer should offer a money back guarantee due to the fact the everything they do is nothing but one of the best service out there. And if eventually don’t measure to the level of your expectation or you later realize that they are a scam, their services are a scam, you can simply opt out and ask for a refund. Best web hosting companies pride in their service and offer a refund. Can I get the full refund if I cancel my web host account within the trial period? How much money would I be charged if I cancel my web host account after the trial period? Is there any cancellation charges if I cancel services before the trial period end or after the trial period? Can I still be eligible to get the promotional price after the end of the trial period? Can I upgrade to higher plan after the trial period and Can I still be eligible to get the promotional price? Can I upgrade my plan from monthly to 24/36 months and still get the current promotional price? These are some basic questions that are worth asking before you invest in signing up for the web host account because if you have any plans to move to another host then you can get your invested money back if you clarify your doubts beforehand.
- Addon Domain /Websites Options: If you are a newbie blogger or a someone who is purchasing a web hosting service for the first time, then it is important for you to understand this feature. With the Add-on domain option, you can run multiple websites under your single web hosting account. When you purchase a web host, they usually provide you with different plans. For example, if you are looking to purchase a shared hosting (which you might be if you are setting up a brand-new website) then you see multiple shared web hosting options, like below one from Bluehost. Highlighted above is the addon domains/website that you can have under different shared hosting plans that Bluehost provide. In general, most shared hosting companies provide at least 25 addon domains in their medium size plan (Bluehost Plus Plan).
- Renewal Cost and Signup Cost: Out of all different types of hosting plans (Shared, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated), shared hosting is the most attractive to the new customers because shared hosting plans are cheapest than any other type of hosting account. But the question is: Are they really cheap when you renew them after your initial period? Most hosting service providers sell shared hosting plan at very cheap rates to new customers but make lots of money at the time of renewal. And don’t worry about the renewal cost because its industry norm these days to charge more on renewals. You can hop between different hosting providers in every two or three years to save some money but there is no way around to avoid the higher renewal fees. Below is the chart where you can compare the sign-up cost and renewal cost of various the web hosting companies:
- Review by others: Make sure you check out the track record of their services. What are people saying about them? What is their testimony that the everyone is saying…do your assignment online and hear how strong and loyal have they been? When you know the level of their fidelity with their past customers, you can rest assured of the type of services they will give to you.
- Final Recommendation: To be honest, the truth is that the things liked or enjoyed by one person may be distasteful to another. It’s not necessary that everyone would consider all the points that we have mentioned above. It’s possible that some of them are least important for you but for others, it’s mandatory to have.
3 Best Web Host for New Bloggers
- InMotion (best for Business Website) CMSFOlks is hosted here
- BlueHost (Best for Personal Blog)
- HostGator (Best for Blogs)
Hosting Server Requirement
A good web hosting server requirement that claims to be strong enough to host any CMS (WordPress, Joomla< and Drupal) as at the time of this writing must make sure their server meets up to the point of these specifications below.
- Hosting Server should be PHP version 7 or higher
- MYSQL version should be 5.6 or higher
- Or MariaDB version should be 10.0 or higher
- The server must have the mod_rewrite Apache module or Nginx
- HTTPs support
Due to the popularity of most CMS platform like (WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal), all web hosting companies must have an easy 1 click installation for them
Packages a Web Hosting Company Should offer
There are different web hosting options you can choose from. The listed below are plans that can suit your style depending on your budget though
- Free Hosting: We believe a serious blogger/business will not try going for something so cheap. It’s been said, “Even in free town, nothing is free”. So why go for such a crap. It’s just a catch and companies offering this will hit your site with Ads that are irrelevant to your niche. Even some do place pornographic Ads on a clients’ website. And trust us, you don’t want that, do you? You’ll earn no money for the Ads placed on it. They are often unreliable, you can’t contact their support system. You have little or no support from them and there is nothing you can do about it. What can you do? It’s a free dude.
- Shared hosting: This is recommended for blogs and websites that are just starting up and with a low budget. It’s cheap and affordable. It also has a one-click installation for everyone on any CMS platform. Shared hosting is the ultimate and best solution for small businesses and starting bloggers.
- VPS Hosting: The acronym VPS simply means Virtual Private Server, which refers to a private machine that is usually offered by hosting companies to their clients. This is when a company partitions a server into multiple servers, giving their clients a taste of dedicated server. This package offers more space when compared to the previous package (Shared Hosting). And also, your bandwidth is higher. It is recommended to websites or blogs receiving high traffic, developers, intermediate users, medium-sized bloggers. If you don’t have any technical skill and not ready to learn or hire, simply go for managed VPS. Meaning the web hosting company help in managing the server on your behalf at a higher price.
- Dedicated Server: Just as the name implies, this is when a physical server is being dedicated to a client by the hosting company, allowing the client to have full access, power, and control over the server including the type of operating system used, even down to the hardware. You have total control on how it runs. The type of service requires you to employ a system administrator. This is useful to websites/blogs with a high amount of traffic and having large files host.
- Managed Hosting: If you can’t employ a system administration and you are not skillful enough to administrate on, neither are you willing to learn one, then this service is recommended to you. This is the managed aspect of a dedicated server whereby the hosting company help takes care of the server. But remember that you’ll pay more in doing this. WPENGINE offers the best in this category.
Our Recommendation for Newbie Bloggers
If you are a newbie blogger or an individual then without thinking much, go with shared hosting plans that web hosting companies provide. A shared hosting account is a cheap, easy to maintain and sufficient for almost all the new websites. One more tip is staying there (shared hosting) until your web host kicks you out because of high traffic volume and difficult for them to maintain your shared account. The important thing to consider here is that whatever host you are choosing, it should provide you upgrade options to VPS or dedicated hosting in the later stage when your website grows and your shared hosting account cannot provide support to your growing traffic needs.
3 Best Web Host for New Bloggers
- InMotion (best for Business Website) CMSFOlks is hosted here
- BlueHost (Best for Personal Blog)
- HostGator (Best for Blogs)
Now that you know all these, below are the best hosting companies you can use and have rest of mind. We did the assignment for you. They offer the best in any CMS script of your choice with one click installation.