Start a blog is no more an option again, it is now a necessity to have a blog, be it individual, organization, Church or religious bodies, Companies or even a political movement need a blog to spread out any information about why they do what they do.
But in your case, you want to start a blog not just to give out your view about something alone, but this time, you definitely want to make an income with it. This post is written to address such issue. The post as a target view for every reader who wants to make money while blogging. You should be able to make at least $500 with the steps written in this post if you follow them perfectly well. Now we guess you are happy to potentially be able to make $500 each month. Kindly note that this is not a magic make money scheme you will find on the internet, this post requires you to work, but you will not work hard this time, instead you work smart. Every step mentioned here must be used and not left undone.
In this post, you will learn how to
Create a Blog
Design a Blog
Promote a Blog (free or Little Bucks)
Make Money Blogging
Create a Blog
Choose a Topic/Niche/Keyword
The first thing you must take note while creating a blog is to first take your time to look into your area of expertise when it comes to knowledge. What do you know best that people give you credit for, what do you do that you are willing and can even teach others, this will help in helping you in the long run? Choose your topic based on the Niche that you have high strength, have a strategic keyword knowledge before you start. When you plan before embarking on a project, then you’ve paved your way to success. But when you fail to plan, you have definitely planned to fail.
Choose a Domain Name
After you’ve made your research on how which area is your strength, it’s now time to choose what your domain name will be or look like. Let’s say your Niche is about HEALTH, you can have a domain name to be like “healthandissue.com”, “healthfocus.com”, “healthrecipe.com” etc.
You can learn from other experts, how even from their domain name, you can guess what the site is all about e.g WPBeginner.com, WPExplorer, and so on all blogs about WordPress. They blog on Tutorials that deals with WordPress. ProBlogger is about building a professional career with income via Blogging. And even from our very own domain name CMSFolks.com, you’ll know we write about Blogging and its platforms.
This will your users/visitors to easily remember you and even from day one, know the summary of your blog. Very handy when dealing with SEO and traffic
Pick a Blogging Platform
This is another factor you must consider, it is as important as anything you can ever think of. Your blogging platform is highly important and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Blogging platforms like WordPress.org, Joomla, and Drupal are the most popular of all, but there are other platforms like Blogger, WordPress.com, Tumblr, Shopify, Wix, Weebly.
All these are all blogging platform that people use, but we advise you go for either of the first three above (i.e WordPress.org, Joomla or Drupal). These three are the best to use, no doubt about that. But for beginners, we will strongly advise that you go to WordPress.org. it is the best for all beginners and some experts prefer to go for WordPress.org. There are a lot of benefit for choosing WordPress especially if you are a beginner, or you don’t know more about how to code. Just pick WordPress, you will thank us later, we can be on that. And for the sake of this tutorial, we’ll say you should go for WordPress.
Choose a Web Hosting Company
The next thing on the line is to go for a Web Hosting Company. If you do Google Search, you will find tons of Web Hosts promising you what they cannot give, and as a beginner, you can be overwhelmed on which one to take.
There are several factors you must consider when going for a Web Host, but to help you out, we have taken time to look into the best Web Host out there and we have come up with these companies. They offer the best service you can see out there, they are BlueHost, HostGator, iPage, SiteGround, DreamHost, and InMotion. But for the sake of this tutorial, we prefer you go for InMotion, why? you ask, they offer a free $100 to advertise on Google and Bing each, and you have a free YP (Yellow Page) directory listing and all these features we will use in this post to help in promoting your blog for traffic, which is one of the ways to quickly make $500 per month. InMotion also offers Free SSL certificate. Now you smile.
Install Your Chosen Blogging Platform
We believe you must have chosen the platform you will like to blog on. We hope you go for our advice by picking WordPress…if that’s the case, good Job and if not, good luck.
To install WordPress via InMotion CPANEL,
- Log in to your CPANEL via InMotion AMP
- Scroll down to Softaculous Section
- Click on WordPress
- Click on the Install button
- Fill in the desired details like:
- Choose Protocol: This is the option where you decide either to use http:// or https:// (if you have an SSL certificate. InMotion also offer free SSL certificate)
- Choose Domain: This should definitely be the domain you picked previously and you also used to buy from InMotion
- In Directory: Except you are trying to install in a subdirectory domain, we advise you leave this place empty
- Database name: This can be left empty, only if you want a specific reason you to change the database name
- Table Prefix: make sure you enter anything here with a maximum of 6 letters and make sure the hyphen symbol (“-“)is left untouched
- Under the site settings section, you can enter your desired login credentials i.e your desired Username and Password you that you will need to enter the WordPress Admin Dashboard. Also, your email is also very important, pick your desired language, preferably in English (doesn’t matter)
- Click install and wait for the setup to complete.
Design the Blog
Designing a blog cannot be covered in this post alone, but we will deal with the basic here. Remember we have a goal, and the goal is that you must make at least $500 in 30 days’ time. As you start a blog now, you should make sure you put the basic things check. Log in to your WordPress Admin Dashboard by going to www.example.com/wp-admin (remember to replace www.example.com with your actual domain name)
- Theme: We believe you might have picked a lovely theme when you were installing WordPress in the previous step and if not, you can still. But make sure any theme you install is mobile responsive and it goes into your niche.
You can do Google Search for this “Best Free responsive WordPress theme for health Remember to replace Health with you Niche)”. This will help you with which theme to install. And you can decide to go for a premium (paid) theme. Install any chosen theme via Appearance→ Theme→ Add new
- Logo: We understand that you might not have a logo, so we did the work for you. Except you have $5 to spare on sites like Fiverr (where someone can help you out with logo design) you should try out these free tools online that will allow you to design a logo for free even without knowing how to. Head over to sites like LogoMaker, Shopify Logo Maker, and TailorBands. Should you know photoshop or any other graphic design tool, what are you waiting for, design it yourself (DIY) and you can ask friends to help out o this task if you have any friend who will help you.
- Font: Install and activate Easy Google Font Plugin in your WordPress Admin Dashboard. Fonts are part of what makes a blog great and you shouldn’t miss out on that.
- Color: You have to put color into consideration when you are dealing with your blog design. Color has its effect when you talk about branding. But make sure you make the color combo is in accordance or even blend in with the logo color. You know what, just keep it simple.
- Create Pages: Create important pages and they are:
- The Home Page
- The Blog/Tutorial/News page (name it whatever you like, just remember this is where your articles/posts will be)
- Policy/Privacy Page (optional)
- Terms and Condition Page
- Contact Us page
- Navigation Menu: Create a navigation menu. And you can do this by going to Appearance→ menu. Remember to re-arrange the pages in the order at which you want them to be. And should you need any help, you can use the order used above
- Sidebar: utilize the sidebar should your WordPress theme come with one. You can put in your sidebar stuffs like: Search bar, Recent Posts, Popular Posts, Newsletter, Social Buttons.
- Keep It Simple: Whatever you do, just keep it simple. Even big brands like Microsoft, Google, and the likes, they all kept it simple.
- Others: Try and do these things that are needed for your site flexibility. Don’t worry, you can do all these later if it’s taking most of your time but make sure you do them as soon as possible.
The soul of blogging is Content. There is no blog without content. You must put up content on your blog. Content is the reason why people will visit your blog, it is the reason why they will also come back to check out something new if your posts are filled with information.
When writing content for your blog, there are some things that you should put into consideration. Your post should be at least 500 words in length, well formatted and with image illustration.
Let your content be optimized and targeted towards a specific keyword. With the help of tools such as SMERush, Google Keyword tools, Keywordtools.io, Site Explorer etc. you can write posts that are well targeted towards your audience.
Make sure you have up to fifteen posts written. If that seems to be too much for you to write, try to use article spinner or article generator. But it will be better you have them written by you.
Optimize and Use CDN
Speed is part of what makes a site visitor wanting to come back for more. You have to make sure you optimize your website speed and use CDN (Content Delivery Network), and luckily, CloudFlare offers a free subscription for beginners to use. We also use CloudFlare.
MailChimp offers free newsletter services for up to 2000 subscription, which is still a good deal for most beginners and you are not exempted to use it.
Now, that is the first part of this post, you have now successfully set up a blog. We are sorry if this post seems to be somehow long, we didn’t plan it to be this way, we just want to make sure that no stone is left unturned. You can read more about our full guide on how to start a WordPress blog
How to Make Money Blogging
The next thing to do is to monetize our blog, this is one of the reasons why you want to start a blog right? Well, this is a well-detailed step by step to make money with your blog.
Methods of Monetizing a Blog for Beginners
- Affiliate Marketing
- Digital Products
- Physical Products
When you advertise on your blog, it means you give others a chance to have access to display ads on your blog to your audience. There are two ways of doing this. It is either you advertise using a third-party advertising network or you sell ads directly on your site. But for the purpose of this post, we will be using the third-party advertising network.
There are many advertising networks but the most popular of it all is Google Ads. Head over to Google Ads and register with them. After registration, they will analyze your site, and approve it for an advert. But make sure you have no copyrighted articles on your blog (i.e no copy and paste content from other people’s hard work). It will take Google an average of 48hrs before your site is approved. And after that, log into your Google Ads account and get your code to advertise. Paste the code into your WordPress dashboard and there you go. Sometimes, you may not get approved by Google, then you can go for other alternatives
Alternative to Google Ads Network
This is when you sell other peoples product on your website and in return, you earn a commission for doing that. With the help of WordPress plugin like Pretty Link, you can cloak the link given to you and make the link look organic. Remember to also install a WordPress plugin called ‘Frame Buster”, it will save you from a lot of headaches. But make sure you sell products that in your category i.e you cannot be writing about health and advertise products about Real Estate. There are several marketplaces you can join to get products to advertise
Affiliate Market Place
You can sell physical products like eBooks, Music, Videos, Pictures and so on. With this, you can make thousands of dollars. Just make sure they are high quality and not too expensive for your target audience to buy. You can use a WordPress plugin called “Easy Digital Download“. It will allow people to buy before download if you monetize the download via the plugin setting. One of the web hosting masters Kinsta (managed WordPress Hosting Company) also gave an exclusive tutorial on how to use easy digital download
Do you want to sell products that are physical that requires shipping to the individual location, you should use the WordPress plugin called “Woocommerce”. It has everything you need to do all that you want, and it’s even free to use. You can sell any type of products that you want to put online. But also make sure you give your audience a value for the money. Every penny spent must be accounted for, don’t make them regret spending it on your site, you want them to come back again right? WPBeginner has written a well-documented post on how to set up an online store using Woocommerce.
You can sell any type of service on your blog, be it Webdesign services, Consultation services, WordPress services, just name it and the WordPress plugin named “WP-Invoice” will help you out.
If you want to know how to install WordPress plugins, read it here
Promoting Your Blog site
There are several ways to promote your website, but the one we want to use is to take advantage of InMotion ‘s Google Ads bonus.(that’s why we said you should make sure you register with InMotion Hosting).
- Log into Amp.
- On the AMP Home page, under Account notifications, click “Redeem your 100 dollar Google advertising voucher today – Don’t let it expire!“.
- On the Google Advertising Credit page, Click the “Go to Google” button in the Voucher code box.
IMPORTANT! The Google AdWords Voucher credit is only for new Google AdWords accounts in the USA. If you have an existing Google AdWords account, you will not be able to redeem the free voucher. And if you are not from the USA, don’t use the coupon in InMotion Admin Panel, just head over to Google Adwords directly, you will be given $50 dollars threshold to advertise and when you pay up those $50 dollars, another threshold will be given up to $250
- Set up a new AdWords account at google.com/adwords
- Go through the normal account set up the process. Add your promotional code after entering billing details.
Note! If your Google AdWords code shows as expired, we can refresh your account to generate a new code. You will need InmMotion tech support do this from their end.
Now that you have done all that we’ve said, the result should be, after advertising on Google Adwords, you should shave tons of traffic and also get returning visitors (if your content gives enough and relevant information, they will definitely come back), you should be able to get earn money through these methods stated via Google Adsense, but know that you must not stop learning and be adding new items/information to your site every day or at least twice in a week.
Did our post in one way or the other influence your action? Or there is something we omitted, kindly give us a feedback using the comment section below. Thank you for reading