In using WordPress there are WordPress basics that most beginners overlook in a bid to learning more complaex things. WordPress beginners are most times eager to learn the most technical part of WordPress at the expense of certain essentials,
In this article, we would be looking at a few of them; they might sound inconsequential but in the real sense they help in shaping your posts and blog in general. Here are a few of them:
Creating email links in WordPress
This is a text link on a post or page that sets up a blank email to a chosen email address when clicked on. Here are a few steps to setting this up;
- There should be a post to infuse this link. Open the post or page and click on the linksign in your editor tool bar. It is better to make it more natural by leaving phrases like “click here to email us…”.
- Type in the email address without spaces immediately after “mailto” in lower cases.
- Click on the apply button then publish if it a new post or update it if an old post.
HTML email links do not permit email links which sends to multiple emails so in this case the ue of a contact form is advised. Also, using email links is not totally recommendable as spammers see it as an opportunity to harvest websites for email addresses.
The difference between a page and a post
Pages are where individual posts added by you appear. Examples are your Home page, Contact us page, About us page etc. Pages are more permanent once published and do not get swallowed up by new created pages.
Posts on the other hand get pushed down by new posts and so post with errors mighr be skipped by a lot of people. Also, posts are often dated, marked and appear on your screen in reverse chronological order.
So if you blog a lot it is advised you categorize your post so as to help users locate them easily. Before updating your website be sure if you are updating a page or a post as most WordPress beginners mix them up.
Adding and uploading PDFs
Ensure that your PDF is ready in advance and optimised for web use; the optimization is to ensure easy and quick download. You can compress your PDFs here for free. When your PDF is ready, you can then follow the following step;
- Create or go to the page or post where the PDF would be inserted and place you cursor in the preferred position
- Click on the Add Media button in the editing toolbar.
- Click on the Select file and upload PDF or drag and drop in the upload box
- Once the uploading process is complete, enter your preferred caption in the Titlebox
- Under Attachment Display Setting, choose Link To Media File so that the text is added your file then click on the Insert into Page/Post button
- Ensure you publish or upload after the process
Linking images to PDFs
Now that linking PDF to post has been conquered it is time to link images to these PDFs. This is an alternative that can create a more visible link than a text. If you have not imported your document , use Media > Add New in WordPress from you dashboard to do so;
- Click on the PDF in the media library and copy full URL to clipboard
- Close the image and Edit the post or page where your link will appear
- Insert the image to be used by clicking on Add Media after placing your cursor on the preferred position.
- Select the image and press the Edit button that looks like a pencil then under Display Settings set Link To custom URL. Paste the copied PDF link and if you want link to open in a different tab then tick appropriately under Advanced Options
- As usual, don’t forget to update or publish post
Updating the menu bar
You sometimes want to add or remove menu items linked to a new page you have created and don’t know how to. If your WordPress theme allows you to update your menus using Appearance then here is a step by step guide;
- Ensure you have created and published your new page. Go to Appearance>Menu; if your website uses more than one menu then you have to select a menu from the dropdown
- Locate Pages pane and select the View All link to select the pages you want to add
- Click the Add To Menu button located at the bottom of the pane to add them.
- Your new menu items are added to Menu Structure at the botton of the menu.
- To move the position of the new items to a more appropriate place, simply drag them and drop where you prefer
- Click SaveMenu button
If you are at the Editor level then there is no automatic access to this option so you might need to contact your Administrator,
Adding Youtube videos to WordPress
- Find the video uploaded already on Youtube that you would like to embed
- Click Share the Video to copy the video address to your clipboard
- Log into your WordPress Admin panel and click to edit the Post or Page you wish to add the video
- Place your cursor correctly where you want the video to appear in your content and paste the Youtube link you copied. A blank paragraph is a better position
- Click update to complete then test video
WordPress for beginners can be tasking and overwhelming so bloggers skip certain basic things for the more technical ones. We hope we addressed a few basics you had no idea of?